MikaL: BootsnAll Holiday Party 2008 Member Interview
We wanted to highlight some of the awesome BootsnAll members that will be in attendance at this year’s BootsnAll 10th Anniversary Party.
BootsnAll Screen Name: MikaL
Member since: September 12th, 2005
Post Count: 225
What was your first passport stamp?
I can’t remember, probably USA.
How did you find BootsnAll, &/or what attracted you to it?
I met the Boots crew through former employee Court back in the day. I hit it off as friends with Sean & Chris and been growing from there ever since.
What keeps you coming back to BootsnAll?
Other than the fact that I’m paid to come back on a daily basis (yes, I work here), I really enjoy what BnA is doing, both from a resource perspective, and a personal satisfaction angle because I love building web sites. I’m totally stoked about the WhyGo sites and can’t wait to see the improvements that we have planned for both BnA and WhyGo, particularly the community aspects of them.
Is there a destination you have really liked in spite of it having a poor reputation?
I’d say Scottsdale/Phoenix has grabbed me. I used to not like it when I was there previously, but it turns out I’ve just been going at the wrong time of the year. It’s a great hub into Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean for quick trips – or at least more than Portland is. I love warm places and the lack of humidity here really agrees with me. I still won’t be sticking around in July and August if I can help it.
Do you have any upcoming trips? Where is next on your list?
I’m too spontaneous to plan something specific for a more exciting trip, but Caribbean destinations are always high on my list. I’m also hoping to spend a little time away from PDX in PHX this winter.
What is a place you’ve been to that you would go back to tomorrow given the chance?
Vancouver BC, Berlin, Hawaii, New York, Atlanta.
How many miles will you be travelling to be at the BootsnAll Party?
Probably about zero, since I’m going to be helping set up.
What kind of boots do you have?
10 year old Red Wings & snowboard boots.
Any tips you found on BootsnAll or from other members on the forums that helped you on a trip?
I love reading the little insights that people have from their experiences. They’re kind of like a travel tip encyclopedia. I’m hoping that we can start adding these to something like the Insiders or Toolkit.
Have you been to a BootsnAll party before? If so, what survival tips can you offer to any newbies?
I’ve been to 4 or so. I have some good tips from past experiences:
- Don’t drink a ton before the party. You’ll be sloshed and may have to be taken home since the party will have plenty of booze (not that I have any personal experience of this).
- Talk to people! Everyone is friendly and loves to talk about where they’ve been and where they’re going.
- Bring friends. The more we have, the merrier it will be.
- RSVP. This helps make sure that as organizers, we’ll have a good head count so we won’t run out of stuff.
- For those that are a little shy, and if you’re not a BnA member yet, sign up and talk to folks on the boards. This way you’ll already know some of the people and will feel more comfortable in the event that you don’t know anyone attending.
- COME! It is bound to be a blast, and there’ll be prizes and a great place to meet like-minded travel lovers.
Thanks for sharing, MikaL. Be sure to say hi to him if you’ll be joining us at the party!